Youth Services FAQs

Need an answer, have a question?

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is School to Work (STW)?
  2. How can I enroll in STW?
  3. Who is eligible for this service?
  4. How many days a week is this program offered?
  5. Is transportation provided?
  6. How is progress tracked?
  7. What will my student do after he graduates?
  8. How can I receive more information on this program?
  9. What is P.E.T.S.?
  10. Who is eligible for these services?
  11. What is the difference between group and individual P.E.T.S.?
  12. How can I enroll in services?
  13. How can I receive more information on the P.E.T.S. program?

Answer 1:

The School to Work Transition Program provides students between the ages of 14 through 21 an opportunity to learn about their interests, strengths, preferences and needs in order to prepare for life after high school. The School to Work Program focuses on employment, post-secondary education and training opportunities, and community living.

Answer 2:

Families, students, or other agency supports should contact the school district to discuss this option for transition services. Students under 18 need to obtain a work permit. Intake, tour and paperwork need completed before services can begin. There is rolling enrollment into this program.

Answer 3:

Students between the ages of 14 through 21 who have an IEP or 504 plan are eligible for these services.

Answer 4:

Programming is tailored to the student's needs allowing for flexible scheduling to accommodate in school classes, CTC or other program involvement. A four-week Extended School Year (ESY) program is available during the summer.

Answer 5:

The student’s school district will provide transportation to and from BCRC.

Answer 6:

Quarterly reports are provided to the school to document the student's progress. 

Answer 7:

BCRC’s School to Work program helps the student and family connect to services that may be useful as an adult including the Beaver County Behavioral Health (BCBH) office and the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR).  Students can transfer to BCRC’s facility based adult program or can work with our Supported Employment department to help find a job in the community.  We will also refer the student to other community services that may be useful.

Answer 8:

Please contact Maureen Hawk, Supervisor of Youth Services at for additional information or call 724-378-4750.

Answer 9:

Pre-Employment Transition Services (P.E.T.S.) is a program provided to strengthen the transition process from high school to a career. Students enrolled in P.E.T.S. can receive group services, individual services, or a combination of both.

Answer 10:

Students between the ages of 14-21, in school districts throughout Beaver County.

Answer 11:

Group services give you an opportunity to explore a variety of employment options. This service includes classroom instruction on independent living skills, self-advocacy, and workplace readiness. These topics are introduced on a rotation throughout the school year and are offered weekly at participating school districts. Our experienced instructors and a cutting-edge curriculum ensure students are provided with the highest quality of service.

Individual services include job shadowing opportunities and short-term work-based learning experiences for students age 16-21 and enrolled in school. Job shadowing is a non-paid and observational experience at jobs that are of interest to the student. A Work-Based Learning Experience (WBLE), is a 90-hour paid internship that is based on the interests and skills of the student.

Answer 12:

Students interested in P.E.T.S. should contact their high school transition coordinator.

Answer 13:

For additional information on group services, please contact: Magic Sentz at 724-775-0415 ext.3201.

For additional information on individual services, please contact: Sheila Silbaugh at 724-775-0415 ext.3101.