Certified Peer Support Specialist
JOB STATUS: Part time, daylight hours, 20 hours per week, 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., flexible weekdays
LOCATION: 363 3rd Street, Beaver, PA 15009
JOB DESCRIPTION: Acts as an advocate in providing support for individuals with mental illness.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Models hope, personal responsibility, and self-advocacy by sharing his or her personal recovery story, how recovery goals can be respectfully met and how a belief in self is maintained.
- Provides a welcoming environment for all new individuals.
- Cultivates the individual’s ability to make informed, independent choices
- Uses “positive approaches” to motivate individuals whenever possible and maintains confidentiality.
- Develops opportunities for integration and meaningful roles in the community.
- Assists the individual with learning how to develop and maintain positive personal/social support networks (friends, family, associates).
- Educates participants about mental illness and recovery.
- Links participants with appropriate community services.
- Applicant must have lived experience: having personally lived with mental health or addiction challenges and/or an individual receiving Mental Health Services.
- Able to model a recovery experience exceeding one year.
- Preferred applicants will meet criteria as PA State Certified Peer Specialist, or be willing to obtain certification.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Comfortable working either one or in group setting
- Strong work ethic with high integrity
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office – Word, Outlook
- A valid driver’s license
- Able to pass background checks and clearances
- High school diploma or equivalent